View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob
Well, I found the culprit. It turned out to be the plastic ball cup joints.

I little more background was that for a long time the passenger side of the top moved very solidly while the driverside seemed a little limp.

When I got into the car I found that the driverside ball cup joint was completely broken in half. The passenger side was just off. The pop I heard must have been that coming off.

The rubber bushings on the arm at the other end from the ball cup socket are shot.

I need to find a place to get this stuff on the cheap.

Any suggestions?
Rob:

The top will operate as you describe with only one pushrod connected, i.e., the other side will lag behind on the way up and lurch on the way down (because it's disconnected on that side).

The rubber bushes are part number 986.561.881.00 and list for about $4.00 each. You can get the parts for a good price at Sunset, Suncoast or Pelican Parts.

Porsche does not sell the plastic ball cups separately from the pushrod assembly. That part number (same for both sides) is 986.561.279.02 and lists for about $67 each.

Some have used the pushrod assembly from a 987 with success (Part # 987.561.279.00), because it lists for about $41. IIRC, the 987 pushrod does not require a rubber bush.

If your plastic ball cups are red, you should replace both of them and keep the one that is still intact as a spare. The red ones are more brittle and less durable than the later white ones.

If you want to buy just the plastic ball cups from a guy who has them manufactured in Europe, send me a PM and I'll send you the info.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote