View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
clickman

I keep mine under cover to keep all of the dust off. I give it a real good cleaning and waxing and coating of the convertible top just before storage, and I'd like it to be clean like that at wakeup time in the spring.

First off, I'm assuming you don't plan to drive it in the winter.

You can't just start the car and let it run for a couple minutes. You'd have to make sure it gets up to operating temperature, which IMHO means say 1/2 hr. And then you're looking at getting it gas (insurance? snow?), the oil contamination, etc. Way easier to just follow the short list of prep items and then forget it. I've tried it the other way, and it was a PITA.

If you do a search you'll find all sorts of recommendations and discussions on this. FYI, here's my winter prep checklist:

1. Fill gas tank.
2. Wash, dry and wax
3. Change oil and filter. Cut open filter and check for debris. Record mileage of oil/filter change and put sticker in window (+8000 km with Castrol Syntec 5W-40)
4. Add fuel stabilizer. Start engine just long enough for oil and stabilized fuel to circulate (several minutes, < 5 minutes)
5. Top treatment
6. Check battery electrolyte level and top up with distilled water
7. Inflate tires to 58 psi.
8. Place in storage location.
9. Leave out of gear. Emerg brake off. Block wheels.
10. Block open frunk. Hook up battery maintainer. Remove bulb.
11. Put on cover
12. Get storage insurance

During storage, I debate moving it once a month to avoid tire flat spots, but I rarely do it and it doesn't seem to hurt

Spring startup:
1. IF POSSIBLE, hand crank engine by pushing in 5th gear (forward, NOT backwards) until you hear the engine turn over, then fire up with key. May have to roll back in neutral a few times to get a full engine revolution
2. Adjust tire pressure