View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I also agree to purchase a set of dedicated race pads, but be sure to purchase a set for all four wheels. Leaving street pads on the rear, with front race pads, gives a terrible imbalance in bite and could cause you to loose control of the car in heavy braking conditions.

i disagree. when you add more braking to the front axle, comparatively LESS braking is required at the rear axle. race pads up front & street pads in back is okay, but the REVERSE is not okay.

under heavy braking, the nose dives and the rear end of the car begins to lift. the loss of weight over the rear axle means that the rear wheels are comparatively easy to lock up; this is why brakes are bigger up front. with street tires & OEM pads, the front axle is responsible for about 70% of braking. with race tires and race pads, it's more like 90%. this means that as you add grip / braking capability to the front, a REDUCTION in bias at the rear is required.

that having been said, the boxster is heavily front biased from the factory to help it cope safely with all weather conditions. if you're running a DE on a dry track, running race pads at all four corners will get you a bit more rear bias, allowing you to better use all 4 tires to slow you down.

as a rule of thumb, too much front bias will lengthen your braking distance. too much rear bias will make the car very squirrely under braking and can cause sudden oversteer while trail braking into a corner.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote