View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
tattoo-1

just some info

as i was searching the net i came across a forum on this conversion,,,
audi 4.2 v8
I think Boxster has plenty of room for a compact V8 like the Audi motor. I like the 2.7 T as well - have seen it used with Porsche 914's. V8 just has more appeal to me.

When I say Porsche V8 I mean current version in Cayenne. Porsche guys say its very close to Audi, but I think Audi has more aftermarket support.

I just would like to find somone who has actually tried to hook up a Boxster tranny to the Audi motor for a mid engine car to hear what parts are needed. That will save me some time

Goog point but exteriors, intakes, etc appear to look very similar. So I suspect that based on smaller bores the Audi motor is a little smaller than the Porsche which would be better. Does somone have all the exterior dimensions of the 4.2 liter Audi V8? Is there a cutaway view of this motor somwhere?

OK rough tape measure numbers...

2004 A8 motor: 30.5"w x 22.5"L x 24"H (incl all plumbing, but missing accessories)

2005 BHF V8 motor: 28"W x 22"L x 22"H Total incl all accessories.

Both motors include stock manifolds which are not wider than the heads = widest part.
04 A8 engine is the last of the 077 engines (front belt drive) These were first used in the Audi V8 which was a large car with an engine bay suitable for an inline five with a side mount radiator. Space galore. These engines range from 250 to 360hp.*edit* 450hp+ for RS6/RS6 plus with turbocharged engines*edit* Some 077 engines were 32v and later ones were 40v.

05 S4 engine is the first of the 079 engines (rear chain drive) These were meant to be smaller to fit in the B6 A4's engine bay and the C5 allroad's engine bay too. These range from I want to say just over 300hp ~2004 allroad to 340ish in the S4 and 420 in the RS4 and R8. Early 079 engines were 40v and later ones were 32v the 32v are FSI.

Boxster motor has big tall intake and a bunch of systems on top of the motor. Audi V8 intake nestles down in between heads. I dont think it would be too tall, but with measurements I will start to learn what will need to be done. There is already a big hole over the top of the stock engine compartment with a removable cover. Tis is located under the convertible top. Firewall also already has a cut out as well with a plate that bolts over the area.

Porsche 914 guys shove Chevy V8's in their little mid engine cars all the time with no or very little sheetmetal mods.

did a lot of measuring and head-scratching for the 4.2L V8, and I'm pretty certain about 2 major points:

1. It fits in all dimensions. It might be about 1" too tall at the back of the intake manifold, but that is not a big deal as there is plenty of room under the convertible top.

2. The transmission from the base Boxster should bolt right up to the V8 and it even has a place for the Audi starter snout. The gearbox on the S would have to be slightly modified, but it should also bolt right up.

pics and al info very much gratful
tattoo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote