View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I worked in the chemical industry for more than twenty years, the line filters for products with very exacting standards look just like the core from Mahle, to say it's total crap might be a bit over the top. I'm not understanding how the spin on adapter filters 100% of the oil Vs ___%, if that statement is true then that is the powerful feature / benefit to promote. As for independence from Porsche, I understand the sentiment but a new oil filter is quite a ways from independence. Oh well, one new stainless fastener at a time, what I hate most about Porsche is their lousy polymers. I don't know if it's because of tougher European standards but at Kodak we used a lot of lexan, Ge's polymers are good stuff wear a long time.
The spin on adaptor eliminates the bypass valve in the bottom of the plastic OEM canister, resulting in 100% oil filtration.

As for Mahle/Mann filter quality, you'd be surprised how many we remove that have the treated paper end caps ripped; resulting in 100% filtration bypass (nothing is being filtered). The OEM filters also have the end caps butt glued to the filter media, often with gaps, again allowing the oil to bypass the filter. The spin on filters has metal end caps which are crimped over the media to eliminate any chance for leaks, and the metal housing eliminates the paper endcap issues. Depending upon which spin on filter you choose, you are also getting substantially better media pore sizes, roughly 25-35% finer than the OEM cartridge, and yet costs about 1/3 what the Mahle does…………..