View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Gforrest2

Dumb, make that STUPID, very lucky, and then unlucky

I'm working on my daily driver when I notice out the corner of my eye, my Porsche is rolling across the street. Didn't even notice it going down the driveway. It's too far away to do anything so I watch it jump the curb and hit a light pole.

I ALWAYS set the parking brake. Never leave the car in gear or in my other cars, in just Park. I feel, actually, I am a total idiot. My first reaction was to make sure no one saw how stupid I was. Then I started it up and drove it back in the garage, SET the brake and went to see the damage. Thought I was the luckest guy in the world. Just some very minor scratches in the bumper, which I removed with some Novus plastic scratch remover. I didn't even notice the real damage until I was putting away my tools about an hour later.

So,.... dumb: Not setting the brake
Lucky: Lot of people out walking today, could have hit someone. Could have been a car parked across the street. Could have taken a direct hit in the middle of the bumper instead of a glancing blow, light pole could have fallen over and smashed my car.
Unlucky....well the fact that this whole thing happened. What a way to ruin your day.

So....what am I looking at? I want to avoid an insurance claim. Am I looking at $1,000 or so, or am I dreaming? Ebay for the light, and am hoping I can get an aftermarket bumper, or maybe the dent can just be pushed out. Suggestions???

Rolled out of my garage, across the street and hit that light post.

Ouch! What kind of money and I looking at to fix this?