View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Thanks, Maurice.

Just to make sure we're on the same wavelength, the maker of the steel ball cups is saying $2000 damage because of the plastic cups breaking. Ergo his justification for the steel cups.

But I hear you; I won't be installing them.

And BTW, thanks for your excellent contributions to the forum (and others) on the subject of the convertible tops. Knock on wood mine's been fine so far, but I know the day will come, and having all of this ref info available as well as you to ask questions of makes me feel a lot more warm and fuzzy.
Norm:

We are on the same wavelength... but I haven't been able to come up with a scenario that would justify that claim (about the damage to the "tonneau cover" a/k/a clamshell) because if only one ball cup were to break during either the close or the open cycle, the top would still usually operate...almost normally. The only noticeable difference would be that one side of the canvas top would either lag behind or lurch forward, depending on whether you are in the process of opening or closing the top. If both ball cups broke, the canvas portion of the top would no longer be driven, but the clamshell would continue to operate (because the black "hydraulic" pushrods are separate components and would not be affected).

I guess if the top was closed, and you were in the middle stage of opening the top and both ball cups broke at that moment, the continuing clamshell would close on top of the still not completely closed top and, if the top did not "collapse" into the closed position, the clamshell might get bent around the canvas' frame. Never heard of it happening, probably because there is not much tension on the ball cups at that stage, but I suppose it's theoretically possible.

The severe tweaking of the clamshell usually occurs only as a result of either a broken/frayed drive cable on one side, or a malfunctioning transmission or V-lever, when there is continued operation of the motor which is then only driving one side.

A more realistic possibility of causing damage after a plastic ball cup breaks is that caused by the newly dangling remnant of the pushrod digging into the foam drain tray as the V-lever continues to turn. The foam drain tray gets torn or ripped and, if not repaired promptly, that can result in water intrusion into the cabin...where it will quickly fry the central alarm computer under the driver's seat.

Thanks for the kudos. I get a lot of help from these forums (fora?) as well and I'm glad to be able to contribute.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 09-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote