View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgedm
Here are the pictures of my 99 black, fresh 2.5 engine, now trying to get new leather, top and paint....

I love this care right up untill i pick it up or drop it off at dealer for work, and sitting next to the new Boxsters the paint looks sooooo tired ...

Hence my requests for advice on better than new paint jobs ....

Again it can stay black, i really just want all the exterior done, all ruber and plastic exterior gaskets, bumper covers and grills replaced for new .....
Depending on if you really want a show quality paint job or just your car to look better, you have some choices.

If your clear coat isn't peeling and you just want to smooth out the finish, you may want to just consider having a body shop or detailer do a thorough polishing. That should be enough to smooth out swirl marks and make things look much better. The final stage of a good paint job is a multi-step polish that really brings out the car's luster. They can do the same with an older paint job if it's still in good shape.

The issue is, if you have swirl marks now, and you don't change the way you take care of the car's finish, you'll have swirl marks with the new paint job and end out where you are now but with a good chunk of change missing from your wallet.

Unless you paint the plastic, there's nothing the body shop is going to do to freshen it up anyway. Fading plastic can be re-dyed to look like new. There's a product called forever black that you might want to look into.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote