View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #20
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless1
no, but i just bought the car a month ago.

what makes you think it is the ring gear in the differential?

other than inspect cv joints (is there a way that depressing the clutch could remove cvj noise????), is there anything else i can / should do to inspect for the obvious?

what would a porsche vet be looking for when driving the car that would be indicative?
the CV axles would generally make noise all the time, and the noise would have a higher frequency & a different sound. pressing the clutch would not affect CV noise.

other driveline issues could be the flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, etc, but all of these would vary with RPM, not with vehicle speed.

the pinion gear & ring gear in the diff would both vary frequency w/ vehicle speed. when the pinion is damaged, the sound frequency is high, more like a freewheeling 10-speed bike. when the ring gear is damaged, the sound is very similar to what you recorded. also, relieving load from the gears by pressing the clutch or hitting neutral CAN make the sound go away. it will, however, get worse over time, and will eventually happen whenever the car is in motion.

i would still have a seasoned porsche tech drive the car & give you his impressions; i could certainly be wrong. it's hard to diagnose car noises over the internet.

FYI, a ring gear isn't all that expensive, but it can be tricky to install properly. the real issue is (if this is the transmission) that the pinion could be damaged, too. this is DEEP in the tranny & hard to replace. if this is indeed your problem, the easiest solution is to source a tranny from a wrecked car & install something else.

another thing i recommend? take someone for a ride and ask them which side the noise is on. i bet they say the left. if the driver hears it left & the passenger hears it right, it's in the center......transmission.

let us know what you find out.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote