View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
You may very well be right, Lil'. There's a reason these cars weren't being bought by many people, and it had to do with more than the pricetags. All I can see happenning is people getting a false sense of confidence in their abilities, pushing the car beyond its limits and well beyond their own to recover it, and a lot more Porsches getting wadded up on the road. Having a car with little to no handling aids just forces you to be a better driver and make smarter choices about when and how you push your car and yourself.

Ok, rant over, hahah. Hoepfully this event's happening somewhere in my neck of the woods. I think I'll go look for it.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely recommend the event.

I mean where else can you get an afternoon of thrashing someone else's multi-hundred thousand + dollar collection on a track for free?

PCNA did an excellent job as host. There was food and drink, canopies to shade you from the sun when you were in que, with a drink station at each one. There was a Porsche Boutique and even vans to drive you the couple hundred yards over the the next event.

But I went there to try and objectively judge their latest offerings. I'm not anti-porsche as Flavor 987S seems to infer, not at all. I just bought another one 3 weeks ago.

All I'm saying is that while these new cars may be faster, they're also much tamer. Speed isn't, and should not be, the only metric. I had wished to walk away with a serious case of the 'giggles' having read all the literature and heard tons of testimonials from others who've experienced these rides and technology. I didn't.

What I did walk away with was an impression that these 'driver aids' significantly diluted the experience and also that the cars lacked a certain ability to incorporate the driver. That without these aids, which we were told not to disengage, the cars and the experience would have been much more rewarding.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote