Thread: LN 3.2 to 3.6
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
The Radium King

with patience and some valium i intend to put my engineering degree to practical use and learn how to assemble/disassemble my own engine. in a previous post i acknowledged that the LN cost didn't include labour but the Raby work did. I consciously chose not to value my own time in this comparison. in the roughness of my initial estimates i left out 'shop parts' like rings, etc.

i have a 3.2 that is starting to burn oil. i also have access to an inexpensive 3.4 with d-chiunk. i am in the early stages of analysis of my options, and i think that both should be fixable with new liners. with the new liners comes opportuninity for bore increase. while i can assemble/disassemble, i would have to outsource any machine work. hence my efforts to confirm the necessity of head reworking, etc., to accompany any bore increase.

again, not to discredit Jake in any manner (i have made every effort to value his work and input in this thread and continue to do so) but i am trying to separate unessential modifications from essential modifications. your definition of this will differ from mine. some hit on 19, some don't. some change ims bearings, some don't.

before i do things i gather information - lots of information. it is part of the process that i quite enjoy. it is necessitated by my remote location and need to ensure value for money. the internet is often my first stop, so that i can be informed when i take the next step and start working with vendors, etc. most of the conversation in this thread should have happened on the phone with Jake or whomever, but i was actually looking for input from someone who had increased bore without ancilliary mods so as to form a baseline.

if any value has come from this conversation, it is the acknowledgement that not everyone on this 986 board wants to (or can) put big $ into their car. everyone has different values and needs and will phrase their input accordingly. whatever; when it comes to opinion you get what you pay for on the internet. vendors should carefully analyse how they address this disparate group, however, lest they alienate a growing percentage of their target market.

my $.02; trk done with this thread.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote