View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwellman
I'm having a coolant problem in my 03S as well. Two weeks ago my low coolant light started blinking and it's been losing coolant pretty consistently ever since (coolant light will go off about 3-4 days after topping off if I don't keep up it with). I tried replacing the cap without success.

Today I finally took off the under panel to get a good look at it. The location of the leak seems clear, although I couldn't get it to leak as much as it has been. Pictures are attached. Thoughts? Does the water pump need to be replaced?

Best,
Greg
Greg:

If you look at your two photos, you can clearly see that there is dried coolant residue that has originated from the point at which one leg of the Y-hose is connected to the tube at the side of the thermostat.

I would eliminate that possible leak source before worrying about the water pump. Rotate and re-install (or replace) the factory spring clamp that is visible in your photos. If that does not stop it completely, you may have to remove the clamp, remove the hose and thoroughly clean all of the dried residue and/or cosmolene that may be on that tube before re-installing the clamp.

I had that issue recently and it required a cleaning (no easy task) of that tube to completely stop the leak.

You may prevent some of the coolant from escaping while you do the work by using a pair of clamping pliers to temporarily seal off that hose 3 or 4 inches from the end of the hose.

Please let us know how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 06-20-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote