View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Quickurt

I spent allot of time on the RX8 forum a few years ago when I had my 2004 RX8.
The Renesis rotary had some really serious engine issues and Mazda replaced a TON of them. I know, I manufacture the shipping containers they use for their reman program. Mazda rotaries have been "bearly, bearly, good to me!" (to quote the old Saturday Night Live baseball reporter skit!)
However, even though the percentage of customers with engine problems was less than 15% and engine replacements was in the single digits, this didn't stop the customers with those problems from overwhelming the forum and running most others away to happier net experience websites.
I come on here often, but in spurts, and the threads always at the top are those with issues ranging from water leaks and rattles and squeaks to water pumps to serious stuff like IMS failures.
It is the nature of forums like this for those with issues to be here in force trying to resolve them, complain about them, and yes, whine about them. (a few)
This is only normal for those trying to resolve what is always a very expensive issue with cars in the Porsche price range. The vast majority of the postors are here enjoying their cars and friends on the forum and most with experience go on these problem threads with solutions that have been found over the years everyone has been here.
As is remarked on above, IMS and other serious issues are catastrophic for the victims, but are still low numbers of cars, percentage wise.
Jake Raby does not "fear monger" that I see, though others have claimed it. He also does not chocolate coat the real expense of one of these failures, but again, they are a very small percentage of owners experiencing them.
All in all, I see no ther car in the price range of whatever year Boxster you choose to buy that has the balance, handling, outright fun and practicality of the Boxster and, as mentioned above, ALL high performance cars have issues of one kind or another.
Enjoy your car the way it was meant to be enjoyed, but if you're having trouble sleeping at night over the IMS issue, buy an aftermarket extended warranty. There are a couple of threads on which are the best.