View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
schoir

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang
Hello MN 986 and Maurice,

Thank you for your answers.
You guys gave me the courage to take the car apart!

I have confirmed that the driver side cable is bad. The protruding portion that connects to the motor is broken.

The cable is on its way.

I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind.

- The 19mm bolt that holds the v-lever to the transmission is REALLY stuck. It looks like loctite was used to keep the bolt from coming off.
Q1-3. Does Porsche use loctite at this location? Regardless, should I use loctite when I put it back? I also don't have a torque wrench. Do I need one for this job?

Q4-6. Is there a switch near the motor? I couldn't see one. Otherwise, how does the car know that the top is completely folded and the clamshell closed so to stop the motor? Is it possible that the heavy rain from the days before fried the switch?

Thank you both guys again for the prompt help.
Mike:

Kudos for trying to tackle it. You should be able to do this repair without too much trouble.

The 19mm bolt that holds the v-lever to the transmission is REALLY stuck. It looks like loctite was used to keep the bolt from coming off.
Q1-3. Does Porsche use loctite at this location? Regardless, should I use loctite when I put it back?

Porsche does use loctite on that 19mm bolt, and you should use it as well. That V-lever is under a LOT of pressure at certain points of its travel. You can use blue Loctite and it will be fine. (From the write-up on Mike Focke's Website: Coat the ends of the threads on the 19mm bolt with Loctite Blue, install and tighten the bolt to 59 ft/lbs) This, and further instructions are found on the Part II PDF, at page 30, paragraph 22 of the DIY, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Q4-6. Is there a switch near the motor? I couldn't see one. Otherwise, how does the car know that the top is completely folded and the clamshell closed so to stop the motor? Is it possible that the heavy rain from the days before fried the switch?

The only switch near the motor (only on 97 to 99 Boxsters), is the black lever microswitch which is located and mounted directly on top of the electric motor.

That black lever microswitch is how the car "knows" that the clamshell is closed, as that switch sends a signal to the convertible top double relay, which then initiates an "after-running time" of fractions of a second...which then cuts power to the motor and turns off the "top open" idiot light on the dash.

Heavy rain usually does not affect that switch or the motor...However, check under and behind your driver's seat to verify that the rain water has not found its way to the central alarm computer under that seat.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote