View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang
Hello Maurice,

I was searching to troubleshoot problem with my 2001 stock top and here I am.

How do I troubleshoot the transmission on the driver side that is not spinning?
What are the parts that I need to check and how do I access them?

Any helpful direction is much appreciated.

I don't want to make my first post too long. However, if you need more info, please let me know.

Thank you.

Michael
Michael:

MN986 is right. It is probably just a problem with your driver's side cable.

The inner, speedometer-type cable is either frayed or broken inside the outer black vinyl sheath.

Disconnect that cable from the left side of the electric motor (in front of the third brake light) and put the square end of the inner cable into a cordless drill set on the LOWEST torque setting and spin the cable with the drill while you observe the V-lever.

If the V-lever is not turning (in either direction), then your drive cable on that side is faulty. It's very unlikely that your transmission or the worm gear that the cable drives has a problem.

To replace the cable, just pull it off the rear of the transmission and push the new one on, then put the other end of the cable back into the side of the electric motor.

If you want to double check it beforehand, put the end of the new inner cable into the drill and try to spin the V-lever. Be sure to note and measure (photo would help too) the position of that V-lever so that you know your starting point.

In any case, you should resync the two transmissions.

Note: To pull the cable off the side of the electric motor, just pull straight up on the upside-down U-clip that holds the cable in place at the side of the electric motor.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote