View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
My roof went down fine but upon trying to raise it on one side tries to move! I can hear the motor trying but as i say only on one side!

Help
Polly:

As Kabel says, one of your drive cables is not driving the transmission (and corresponding V-lever) on that side.

You didn't state the year of your Boxster, but the problem you describe is fairly common with 1997 to 1999 Boxsters...those with the smooth-sided black vinyl sheaths that cover the inner (speedometer-type) drive cables.

In that case, the outer sheath tends to stretch, effectively causing the inner cable to partially 'retract". When that happens, the inner cable on that side is no longer being driven by the electric motor. That means that the V-lever on that side's transmission will not turn and the result can be somewhat catastrophic when the other side starts to move, the clamshell on the driven side starts to go up and promptly gets "tweaked". If you are now aware, the clamshell will end up with a deep crease, front to rear.

The fix is to replace the cable, or to cut the outer black vinyl sheath on that side so that you end up with 3/4 of an inch of the inner cable sticking out (so that it can be inserted back inside the side of the electric motor).

The ferrule on the end of the cable is a little difficult to remove and re-install because of the three barbs that hold it in place, but it's doable.

Start by pulling the upside-down U-shaped clip from the side of the electric motor (just in front of the third brake light in the convertible top well) and pulling out the cable (outboard pull) to examine it. If you find that there is less than 3/4" sticking out, you have found the problem.

If you have trouble sticking the cable back into the side of the electric motor, turn the inner cable by hand by 1/32nd of a turn and try again.

If there is enough sticking out, then most likely that cable has frayed or broken apart inside the outer sheath and must be replaced.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote