View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny
Hi can anyone help? The roof on my 1998 boxster is stuck open, does anyone know how to manualy put the roof back up? Also there is a red elbow bracket broken off does any know the name of this so i can order one?

Thanks

Greeny
Greeny:

If the plastic ball cup on one of your front pushrods is broken, you can pop off the plastic ball cup on the other side of the car and the canvas roof will then be capable of operating manually, assuming that the clamshell can still be operated with the electric motor, via the transmissions and V-levers.

If that is not the case, to operate the top manually, you will also have to disconnect the black "hydraulic pushrods" from the other side of the V-levers.

If you want to try to get the top working electrically again, post more specifics and how and when the roof got stuck and in what position, previous symptoms, etc., and we might be able to figure it out without the need for a dealer $$$ visit.

The fact that you still have red plastic ball cups on your '98 means that they are original. There is an "improved" version of the ball cups, made of stronger and less brittle plastic which is not as susceptible to breaking with age.

Porsche only sells the complete pushrod assembly (not the plastic ball cup by itself). The part number for a 986 is 986.561.279.02.

If you want to buy just the plastic ball cups, there is a guy in the Netherlands who has had them manufactured. Send me a PM and I'll give you the info.

Make sure that you verify that your foam drain tray has not gotten ripped or torn by the broken, dangling pushrod. If there is a tear or rip, you run the risk of getting water intrusion into the cabin, where it will promptly fry your central alarm computer (which is under the seat). Since you are in Wales, that may be more a risk than someone in Arizona!

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 05-06-2010 at 04:32 AM.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote