View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboreilly
So I wouldn't have expected this to be possible, but sure enough it is. I was lowering the top on my 2006 Boxster and the hook caught on the plastic, but not in its correct
slot. Before I realized it I had popped the rods off the lowering mechanism. These are
two small armatures on either side of the rear window. They have a plastic screw-on
top that shattered on one and broke at the tip on the other. I'm hoping I can get
replacement parts, but I don't see how they connect back to the lowering mechanism.

I can still raise and lower the top, I just have to go halfway and then get out and move it by hand and then finish lowering the retainer. Needless to say I feel pretty stupid for
breaking this in this way (absent minded scientist anyone!). Any help would be appreciated, even a picture of an unbroken connection. Even better a how-to-fix-it if
someone out there has encountered this before.
Jeb:

Not sure about what you mean by the "hook catching on the plastic but not in its correct slot" as you are lowering the top.

With respect to the parts that shattered, I'm assuming you are referring to the plastic ball cups that are at the end of the front pushrods. You did not say what year your Boxster is, so your broken plastic cups are either red or white. If they were red, you should replace them anyway because they tend to get brittle.

If you open the clamshell to its rearmost position (45 degree angle), and then put the top in the service position (look in the manual for that procedure), you should be able to see the steel ball on each side, directly under and outboard of the B-Pillar. That is where you would press the new ball cups onto.

Porsche does not sell the plastic cups separately, only the complete pushrods. If you want to buy only the ball cups, send me a PM and I'll give you the address of a guy in the Netherlands who has had them manufactured.

Here is a photo of what you are looking for to attach the new plastic ball cups:

If you want to familiarize yourself with the top mechanism and how it functions, check out Mike Focke's web site, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote