View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
The reason I posted this history of LR is that I heard yesterday that Porsche now has eight new models in the works. I hope that VW does not repeat the mistakes that Ford made.
Good long post, I didn't want to waste the bandwidth here quoting it!!
My wife's cousin has lived Downunder for over 30 years now. Her husband would not own anything but a Land Rover until about 10 years ago. I don't know the timing of your posts above. He said the original model Land Rover was repairable by anyone with a crescent wrench and some wire. They weren't the most reliable thing on the planet, but would go anywhere - critical 100 km outside Perth - and you could always make it back home. The last model he owned had to be trucked to the dealer if it hic-cupped. On it's third trip he took it instead to the Toyota dealer and left with a Land Cruiser. With 5 grown children and over 100k acres spread around the area, they now own 7 FJ Cruisers (can't remember the different name in Australia).
Ross says he still misses his old Land Rovers and wishes Rover had just kept building the original.