View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I've found the best middle ground with the standard 9x7 shifter assembly. The B&M was horrible even after several adjustments. Shift effort was so high that the actual shifting was slower than with stock and it took the fun out of shifting.

In regards to purchasing only the aluminum bushings with the inserts.....all I have to say is good luck with that. I tried to get some from B&M since I had to mix and match the stock shifter with B&M bushings for awhile. I wanted to buy another set of B&M bushings so I could make the shifter a complete kit again and unload it. They told me I was out of luck, to bad so sad. I guess I haven't been the only one asking/looking for their replacement bushings due to a large # of people unsatisfied with their shifter and then basically stuck with it. Schnell might be more open to helping someone out with gettting just the bushings, but I don't know.
I also don't know if the OEM shafts and the replacement unit shafts (Schnell) are the same diameter. It may be a moot point. I do know the base of the actual shifter shaft, where the knob mounts, was not. For a while, I had a large lump in my shorts! (and not in the front!)
I will again make note for all: make sure the new shift shafts are compatible with OEM 987 shift knob BEFORE purchasing a kit from Schnell. I bought mine from a forum member who had never installed it. It was at least one year old and DID NOT list 987 on the box.