View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
OBD, OBC, DME, PST2, PIWIS, egas .... Fellas....I'm just a simple cableguy and this is all going right over my head. Plus, I've only had the car for a few months and I'm still at the steep end of the learning curve.

Let me see if I'm understanding this or not:

Because I have a '99 without egas I will need to get the control unit (kindly offered by Todd) and I will also need to acquire the cruise stalk for the steering column, but the wiring should already be in place (or not?). Does this mean that I if I get these two components they should plug right in to existing plugs/ports/wires and then all I would have to do is go down to the dealer to get the cruise "turned on"?

Mark
Almost - you also need the disconnect switches for the brake and clutch (assuming a manual), then you're good to go.

BTW, this should help flatten your learning curve: OBD = On Board Diagnostics (OBDII on the Boxster), OBC = On Board Computer, DME = Digital Motor Electronics (ECU), PST2 = Porsche Systems Tester #2, PIWIS = Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (really just a proprietary version of Bosch KTS650), egas = Electromechanical throttle control - Drive-by-Wire - 2000MY+.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-05-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote