View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Quickurt

987 Schnell short shift install advice

I scrolled through the section and could only find a thread on installing a 997 shift assembly in a 986 which, by the way, was well done and quite informative.
I got a Schnell short shift kit on it's way with the metal replacement for the plastic cable end that is claimed to break. (I have not seen complaints on this breakage, but hey, it will already be apart and I know what happens when you say to yourself, "oh, I'll be careful not to break that!")
Has anyone done this mod and, if so, do you have advice on what to watch out for?
I'm a decent wrench but have a bit of a patience issue with some interior stuff.
I have serious measuring equipment, so I don't think replacing the cable end should be a big issue unless it's impossible to get to it to measure before it's taken apart. I do plan on measuring the shift shaft end to a good spot, in case I have to make adjustments to return the shifter to the same starting spot after the install.
Any advice will be well appreciated.