View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #75
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
If you're making such a big financial stretch just to buy the car, then you probably shouldn't buy. Spend a lot of time reading this forum. This site is also very helpful if you're in the market: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Take time to educate yourself and go in with your eyes wide open. I did and my ownership experience has been great. I can't think of any car I'd rather have for the $; the Boxster's a phenomenal value. The IMS bearing failure issue made me nervous too, so when my car was ready for a clutch I got the bearing retrofit at the same time. I agree the problem is totally over-hyped, but now I sleep a lot better.

If you have some basic mechanical skills and are willing to learn, you'll be amazed at how much you can do yourself - and how much of a dent that will make in your maintenance costs. Being able to work on the car and solve problems gives me a lot of satisfaction, enhancing my ownership experience. If you've got to run to a dealer or mechanic every time you have a little problem or require maintenance, it's going to get pricey. I leave only the hard jobs for the pros.
Great advice. I spent alot of time on here and Rennsport's site, just lurking reading and studying and decided to take another friend's advice and use the cash I was going to use to buy an 03 or 04 S and used it down (55%) to buy an 06 S with certification from Porsche. It was more expensive than an extended warranty, but I have a much newer and nicer car, IMO, and no worries of an aftermarket warranty actually coming thru if really needed. I may end up being wrong (if it could only be the first time! ), but I think 987s are having fewer issues, also.

Last edited by Quickurt; 01-30-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typink
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote