View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Jaak,

I think its fair to say that perhaps the 2 most important reasons why Porsche enthusiasts upgrade their wheels are for both aesthetic and performance benefits. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With that said, its up to the individual to choose a wheel of his or her liking. However, as far as performance is concerned, as I am sure that you know, the objective is to reduce rotational mass. By reducing rotation mass acceleration and braking are improved .. blah blah blah..so forth and so on. As far as I'm concerned the wheels that you are considering really don't meet the aforementioned criteria. Yeah, I'm sure that they are nice wheels and that they would probably look good on your vehicle, but in reality you would simply adding another heavy cast wheel to the equation. Moreover, given the sizes and offsets of those particular wheels, I don't think that you would achieve the look or "stance" that you are likely hoping for. My advice would be to look into a light weight forged wheel with a low offset. Something in the range of 19X8.5 (front) and 19X10 (rear). And depending upon your suspension set-up, offsets in the range of + 40 to +45 in the rear and +45 to +47 or so in the front. Keep in mind, that these are summary recommendations.
Wow. Nearly a perfect description of the OZ wheels and my reasoning when shopping. They are not forged, but the HLT pressure casting is still much lighter and stronger than the stock cast wheels. The 18x8.5 fronts are about 7lb. lighter than the stock 987 Boxster S wheels (which are lighter, I believe than the wheels Jaak is looking at) and the 18x10 rears are 8.5 lb. lighter.
I went with 18" wheels and 40 series tires because we travel allot in the car and I am not interested in needing a new 19" wheel and 30 series tire 95 miles from someplace like Boise Idaho!!