View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
renzop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
this is an interesting comment by those people. :dance:

does a car need to go faster than 80 mph on the street? (in the US) surely 150 is overkill... but yet we all own a car that can either approach or surpass this number.

but all kidding aside i believe all of us here like our little bit of overkill in our lives.

perhaps... i just hate brake dust and replacing my rotors and pads!
OK, perhaps we should clear up why the PCCB option is overkill for the street. There are two properties of Carbon-Creamic brakes that make them great for racing. They are much more resistant to fading and they weigh less than steel brakes. That's it. They do not reduce stopping distances. They do tend to last longer but replacement costs of pads and rotors are so much higher that the cost per mile is less for steel by a wide margin.

Now why do you not need the enhanced fade resistance of Carbon brakes for the street. Because you do not make repeated stops from 100+ every 30 seconds on the street, but that's exactly what you do on the race track. Your stock brakes are perfectly fade resistant for even the most aggressive street driving.

The weight difference does not matter either for the street. There's not a big enouhg diff to make a dent in fuel economy. The reduced unsprung weight means the chassis will respond better with carbon, but as no one drives 10/10ths on the street (and lives for very long) there is no need for the slight handling improvement. Most drivers would never notice the difference.

So, unless you are doing lots of DE events you will be much better served by going with steel brake rotors and quality pads. C-C brakes are indeed overkill for the street as their perfomance enhancements will not even be noticeable.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote