View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Last night I visited a shop that's prepping Boxsters for spec racing, and the owner shared a very disturbing bit of info. On a car that had been stripped bare, he pointed out the spot where the convertible top "boomerangs" mount to the body. On one side, there were cracks in the metal running from bolt hole to bolt hole. The weight/force of the top was literally ripping the body apart. On the other side of the car, he showed me the beginnings of the situation: the spot welds holding an inner and outer body panel together were pulling through towards the outside of the car. The body does not look structurally sound enough to withstand the repeated forces of the top opening and closing. He told me he had seen the same pattern on more than 20 Boxsters. Ouch!
IMO, if a top is properly maintained and the mechanism is lubricated, along with replacing the various "plastic/teflon" bushings in the operating arms, including the "boomerangs" of the clamshell, there is relatively little stress on the body.

It's only when the top has not been periodically checked and maintained for proper, smooth operation that one might run into the problems described.
The top itself is not heavy, and if it's operating properly, you can literally open and close it and the clamshell with your pinky (after disconnecting the four pushrods).

The electric motor generates a lot of torque, enough to tweak and bend the clamshell if one of the drive cables break and you continue to operate the top. So, you have to be aware of the operation of the top and to check it occasionally.

Lubricating the small square black plastic receptacles that slide back and forth in the channels alongside the rear quarter panel goes a long way to preventing damage. Those parts can be located by following the "boomerang" body-colored arm that supports the clamshell at each side. The arm has a steel ball that presses into the receptacles, which in turn slide back and forth in the channel.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote