View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
clickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Getting a 00-03 S model with 50K+ miles for something less than $25K, having the IMS changed out with clutch/IMS for $3K(?) gives you a car that you can have a lot of fun with-- for years--
I wish I could feel that comfortable. What about the other 20(?) engine failure modes? The ongoing problem we Boxster owners face is how many M96 engines are really dying as a result of the multiple possible failure modes? Therefore what is the real risk and how much $ is it worth to preventatively deal with that risk? We really don't know.

It could be the answer is to not deal with the failure modes and other problems piecemeal, save thousands of $, drive the car you have and when (and if) it goes boom, plan to install one of Jake's upgrades.

I'm still trying to decide if my longer term plans should include a vacation to Atlanta with my MY01. I suppose at 50k miles my clutch is due anyways...

I know if I was to get into a Boxster now, I'd buy an '03/04 roller with the engine gone, and put in one of Jake's upgraded engines.