View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
fatmike

After a vigerous test drive, you might find the Boxster reminds you of one of those other cars...

You need to worry about an IMS failure. It happens. If it happens to me one day, I'll be sad. I will, however, immediately go out and by another Boxster.

The RMS thing really isn't a big deal. I got some oil drips on my garage floor. Then it stopped and hasn't leaked since. The RMS is nothing more than a drop or two of oil that leaks between the engine and transmission (the rear main seal). IF it happens, you replace the seal when you replace the cluch. In the meantime, you top off the oil once in a while. I've never had to top off my oil. It sounds like the RMS leak is very rare in an auto.

Expensive to maintain? That's not my personal experience. So far, my out of pocket expenses have been quite modest (mine is an '02. Have 2 years and I've put close to 25K miles on it).

No regrets. Good luck.

By the way - $20K for an '04 with low miles sounds like a good price. I'm not suggesting you don't negotiate, but the asking price sounds reasonable.