View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Cloudsurfer

GAHH glass top and top latch and overall experience

I recently had a GAHH glass top installed on my 02 S after someone sliced the top on me (what a great night that was). Anyway, while it looks great, I'm really not thrilled in terms of its operation.

With the factory top, to lower, you pop the top latch, leave the latch open, and let the top come back and stow. However, with the glass top, you must re-latch the top latch before the top stows, otherwise the latch will just barely contact the windstop and leave the latch hanging "half latched," not to mention, due to the way the glass sits when stowed, it's probably not the best situation to have that latch resting (and putting pressure) in the center of the glass. The added step takes away from the automatic top functionality.

I also seem to have more "play" between the driver's window and the top frame, to where the glass will now rattle over bumps with the top and windows up.

Lastly, engine access with the glass top sucks.

All in all, though it looks great I'm really now thrilled with the situation. I've talked to the shop ( a GAHH recommended installer, who, I realized after the fact, also over-charged me), and they say that there is nothing they can do, as there is no adjustment to the top frame to be made anywhere. So, I'm not sure what to do about all this, other than the fact that, at this point, I want this thing off my car.

If I could do it all over again, I would have just gone with a factory top.