View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by blundgren77
Greetings all!

I just picked up my first Porsche, a 2001 Boxster that was gently used, (30K original miles) and seems to be well maintained. In going over the car this past weekend for the first time and detailing it, I noticed the coolant bottle was a little low (below the min mark when cold).

After searching here, and reading the potential horror stories, I dropped the $32.00 a gallon the dealer wanted for Porsche coolant (pink stuff.) I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water to top off the tank, and when I went to pour it in, noticed (and confirmed with a sample) that the stuff in there already was actually the orange-ish, "DexCool" looking stuff.

Should I, or shouldn't I top it off with Porsche Pink? Eventually I want to flush it, as I don't have any records for that being done, (I can only imagine it was), but in the mean time, will topping the bottle off with a quart of pink mixed 50/50 cause me issues?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill:

If you are going to flush it, and you want to use the magic Porsche coolant, why not save it for after the flush.

In the meantime, just top off with straight distilled H2O and you will avoid any potential problems (i.e., gelling) which MAY come with mixing two types of coolant.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote