View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
weighing / pricing all of my options for replacement engines in my '99. i'm familiar with what's involved in putting a 3.4L into a '99. not sure about a 3.2L; maybe some folks on here know better than i do.

here's my best guess: the 3.2L is basically a 3.4L with a smaller bore. the 3.2L's use eGas and VarioRam. i already have exhaust that will support a 3.2L, so that leaves:

ECU Programming
Throttle Body
VarioRam

my guess is that i can use a mechanical throttle body from a 3.4L and ECU programming identical to a 3.4L. i can then run an extra wire from the DME to the VarioRam actuator and i should be good to go. i am working under the assumption that any 3.2L from 2000-2004 should work fine. am i missing anything?
Are you looking to do this as inexpensively as possible? Because, if not, you've got the option of using a Motec ECU (others may also do drive-by-wire but I've not seen it) and keeping the variocam and eGas plus you can tune it for max power, driveablility, different gas qualities, different upgrades, and whatever else by yourself. It eliminates the MAF, leaving you with alot of options on the intake.

It takes more work to get set up and tuned, but the ability to tinker is pretty entertaining and you don't ever have to go to someone else for tuning again. There's a lot of data acquisition hardware/software you can get for it. There's engine-based traction control. You can even get a digital gauge cluster! But, of course, this isn't cheap. Just a thought.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-30-2009 at 06:11 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote