View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
quick question to all:

if the Boxsters are averaging a loss of $4-5K a year, I'm sure my math is off, are these cars literally going to go to $5K or less at some point? Let's say you have an enthusiast owned Boxster that has been well maintained, paint is still shiny, no dings, interior is solid, engine runs fine, all maintenace is performed when does the depreciation for this car stop and value holds? That's what I'm looking forward to. I don't think I'm ever going to sell this car as long as garage space allows.

Good questions with no very clear answers, especilly for the long term.

Today, I believe there are 4 main factors influencing Boxster depreciation, some less and others more:

One is it's not so sterling reputation for dependability, high ownership costs and also performance. It's plagued with issues that cost a ton to fix and also offers less performance (excluding handling) than many lower priced cars costing much less to both buy and maintain.

2nd, Porsche has produced so many of them that rarity doesn't prop up their price in the used market - there are too many to choose from.

3rd, the economy right now (and probably for some time to come) is depressing all car prices, but especially those in the sports car and 'toy' car categories. This also goes for 'collectibles' as the recent round of high-end auctions (scottsdale, pebble beach, etc.) shows. In scottsdale this past month, a rare french car which was not sold at the RM auction in '06 at $660K - reserve price not met, failed to climb any higher than $330K this year (bet that owner sees a Jackass every time he now looks in the mirror!).

Finally, we are at the beginning of the end for all IC cars. Hybrids, Fuel Cell, Electrics are soon going to be widely available and steal the market for IC cars of all types. You'll see a slow (but steady) deterioration of the infrastructure for IC cars (mechanics, aftermarket, gas stations, etc.). It'll be almost imperceptible at first, but gain steady ground. One thing about our modern society is that we can very quickly saturate a market (can you remember a time when cell phones were uncommon?). The whole personal transportation market will look very different in just 10 yrs. time, and none of it will favor IC car prices.

All that said, those dedicated to keeping their cars will be able to fairly easily for probably another 25 yrs. And, the past few issues of Panorama have had several 'creampuff' '99s still offered in the $15k-$18k range (and one assumes they're selling because they aren't being carried over month-to-month). At least I hope so because that's where mine is going to appear next month.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote