View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
mikefocke

There are 4 price points

1. The Porsche branded one with the right wires. Plugs in.
2. The Bosch one that is made by the people who sell the part to Porsche and which has the right characteristics and the right wires. Plugs in.
3. The universal Bosch one that has the right characteristics but you must fashion the wire connections for it (and don't solder them).
4. Generic ones...you take your chances...you must fashion the wires. These are the $28 ones...Walker brand usually.

Since #1 differs from #2 only in markup, I choose #2. And I save on labor by doing it myself or having a muffler shop or tire shop do the install for $50. Porsche dealer wants $550 total. I can get it done with the exact same part for $150 total. That is saving enough for me.

#3 has too much wiring risk. Bosch has million dollar wire connection machines and I figure I'm not gonna duplicate their quality of work on my workbench.

#4 has too much risk of not giving the right signal (and multiple mechanics I respect have warned me against them (and they have no financial stake in what I select because they aren't going to sell me the part and they know that) though you will find people on the web who say they have used them successfully).

IMHO. Your choice.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote