View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Perfectlap

Well gen speaking unless you live in Southern California or Miami there aren't a ton of Boxster on the road period. How many people that you've met over the years own a Boxster? Not many. Now toss in the Boxster Red interior and you've got an even less common car.

What drew me to the Boxster Red color was that it was obviously unique and classic, but also tha it's maybe the easiest color in the world to keep new looking and clean. Black is high maintenace, tan gets dirty and shows wear quickest, grey is somewhere in the middle but some think its a little too sterile or neutral, but that's just opinion. An interesting bit is that this color was used in the Carreras as "Boxster Red". The 911 Carrera was made to look like a Boxster and not the other way around. Boxsters were in production as early as 1996 and the style was incorporated into the 996 generation of Carreras that debuted in 1999, including the Boxster Red color.

Now regarding value. KBB means nothing right now. This country has never seen a car market or credit market like this one. The value of the car has nothing to do with the merits of the car like condition, mileage, options, etc. and has everything to do with how badly the seller needs to sell the car. The KBB is not even ballpark ......more like "state" park, however badly your state's economy is doing will be a greater factor. You can make a bid 30% below whatever KBB is claiming as the "value" and you have as good as ever shot of having that offer accepted. In other words there has never been a better time to be a buyer and a worse time to be seller. This is not a friend making process, go in with the rock bottom offer and keep increasting it (slightly) to see if you get their interest. If they don't respond to the slightly higher offer make a more aggresive offer. If still they don't respond, make a slightly higer offer on top of that to see if they aren't playing games as well. If still nothing WAIT..... I guarantee you will hear back if its a dealership. If it's a private seller they aren't desperate. Be VERY VERY stingy. That car isn't flying off the lot. You are in the unique position of being one of the few people interested and one of the fewer with money. THat car will be worth significantly less in a 12 months, maybe the fastest depreciation this economy has seen in cars. Be SURE to remind them of this during your negotiation, which should make them even more motivated to move the old merchandise. They need the money a lot more than you need to lose it.

p.s.
regarding the "girl's" car comments. They say that about ALL roadsters. Which tells you two things about the person making that comment. 1) they know nothing about Porsche and 2) they know nothing about high performance driving and mid engine handling. The comment that most impressed me was from a former amateur driver who was a life long friend (through competition) of a former F1 driver who now competes in America. In other words someone who knows what they are talking about. He said to me "this is the purest, most well balanced, best handling open top sports car you can buy. The seating position, the steering, the throttle it's all perfect." . He was more excited than me and I'd just bought the car!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-01-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote