View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Exhaust System Testing- I need input

Now that we are finsihed with the expansion of our facility that houses the M96 engine program its time to start gathering data at a much faster rate.

The first thing on the list of comparative analysis that we want to attain is exhaust system data. This data is not just critical to your stock engines, but is even more important to our engine program that has taken the M96 to a new level with bored and stroked engines with reliability updates, headwork, performance camshafts and about anything you can imagine... Od fahioned hotrodding applied to modern vehicles...

So, I want to buy or borrow one of every exhaust system avaialable for the Boxster ranging from the 2.5 through the 3.2... I want to run these comparatively on my engine dyno and the chassis dyno and I already have cars and engines of each displacement on hand now to begin this work.

The reasoning for this is to see if we need to create our own headers/ mufflers to compliment our larger engines and other subsystem enhancement packages, or if something is on the market currently that we can evaluate and endorse without having to create another unit.

So... Like everything I do, we are testing for more than overall power output- I want products that increase efficiency, make the engine drive better and hopefully make great power along with MPG boosts and more smile factor..

To do this I'll be applying the Dyno lab equipment along with the chassis dyno and then I'll plug our data logger into each car to gain the data on my 90 mile per day round trip commute to and from the shop.. When we make changes to the system each will be driven the same distance at the same speeds and capture all those channels of OBDII data as well as up to 16 more analog channels...

So, what I need to know:
What headers and mufflers do you know of? I know all the better known systems, but there may be systems that you guys are using that we don't know about and I'd like to test EVERYTHING available.

So give me the name of all systems you know about and the sources for them... Part of my evaluation won't just be performance, it will also be critiqued for fit, finish and material/ workmanship quality. Of course we'll get sound clips from each and Db readings in the cockpit as well..

What would be great is if some of you have some of these systems that are not being used(for some reason) that would let me borrow them for about a week to evaluate... I'd be willing to rent them as well.

We have the capability to make bad ass exhaust systems but we have enough going on already, hoping we won't have to create another product line for our engines...

So, help me if you can.. This is just a tad bit of what we'll be doing as I have dedicated the next 18 months of our R&D lab's capability to the M96 :-) I love data and we love having products that we KNOW EVERYTHING about and have the data to support the claims-
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote