View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
dja1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
Regarding the Midas comparison... it isn't like a Pilot A/S is a multi-mile grand touring tire from WalMart. It's a very high quality solution to this particular problem.
I found out yesterday that the reviews on TireRack can be sorted by tire AND vehicle. This made it MUCH easier to search the reviews on specific tires ONLY on Porsches.

Pilot Sport A/S:
High Quality Picture
13 Porsche reviews (8 raving, 3 good, 2 bad) – It seems that the general consensus on this tire is that it blurs the line between a summer tire and an all-season tire. Based on the reviews, it’s hard to believe that this tire qualifies as an all-season tire, aside from the outstanding tread-wear.

“I bought the Michelin Pilot A/S as replacements for OEM Conti fronts approximately 6 months ago. What a difference. Other people said this tire has proved to be a better tire than most high-performance summer tires they’ve had. I found that hard to believe, however, I am shocked by just how good these tires are. Also, driving in the rain with the Contis was a white-knuckle experience. The Michelins are fantastic in the rain and in anything less than 4 inches of snow actually drive as well as my wife’s front-wheel drive Volkswagen.”

“My current tire is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and even though I only have 2,400 miles on them thus far, there is a MAJOR difference in how my Porsche 911drives, steers, brakes and the amount of control I seem to have, and NO signs of any wear as yet!!! It does not take a rocket scientist to immediately notice how well the car handles. I give it a 10 compared to either the Bridgestone Potenza RE750 or the SO2s that I would give a five in comparison. I have never experienced ANY tire which allowed for such steering control! Mind you, I do not go to the track with my Porsche, but I love driving my Porsche the way it is designed to be driven and I do not need a track to enjoy it! Perhaps, on the race track the other two tires were better for saving me a second in lap time, or a little better grip at speeds over 150 miles per hour, but then, if I were to go to the track with my car, I would choose specific tires for it and only it to fully enjoy this aspect of my Porsche.”

PZero Nero M&S:
High Quality Picture
12 Porsche reviews (3 raving, 8 good, 1 bad) – This tire also seems to be a good compromise between summer and all-season tires. Based on the reviews, it sounds like this tire is closer to the all-season category, but still has good performance.

“They ride softer than the Michelins, handle and response to inputs like a champ, are extremely quiet, have attractive sidewalls, and forge ahead undaunted by wet roads. In short, these tires are on almost equal footing with the much softer Michelin Pilot Sport summer compound tires, but with the added confidence of an all season silicone compound.”
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote