View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
dja1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
From what I've seen, the tires with "UHPAS" labels tend to have high speed ratings (W & Y).. I've put a set of Conti Extreme Contracts on my 07 Box because I bought these tires before for another car and was happy with their overall performance. Check the reviews/ratings at TireRack. My tires were about $660 shipped and it was another $140 for mounting/road force balancing. Keep in mind that these UHPAS tires can only handle light snow, but with a 4" clearance on our Boxsters, we'll be leaving the car in the garage when the big snow storms arrive.

Regards,
paul...
Thanks! That's some good information. The thing about TireRack is that they have 6 categories for All-Season tires and 6 categories for Summer tires. I guess the good thing about the UHPAS tires is that they are rated highest performance in the All-Season class.

I have read many reviews on the tires I am interested in. Overall, the reviews are good for both of the tires I previously linked to, but I came here because there is a lack of reviews from Boxster owners. Mostly, I see reviews from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Audi owners.

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are too new, and I can't find any reviews on them. However, I did pull up the reviews for the Pilot Sport A/S (non-Plus), and I based my review on those. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the two. They look nearly identical to one another. The only thing I can tell is that the non-Plus tires aren't available in the sizes we need.

I'm leaning more toward the Pilots at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You're making a compromise with these all-seasons tires. It'll give you adequate summer/winter traction no doubt.

It's not how fast they'll wear out - think of the safety aspect, you'll definitely get worse braking distance for sure.

You have to realize your driving style plays a big part on how long tires last - the tread wear rating is just one value from the whole formula.

Tires IMO are the most important aspect for our cars. Spend the money where it should be spent.
But again, don't you think that this plays a bigger part for those who really drive their Boxsters the way they were built to be driven? If a person who drives their car the way I do wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it seems like a waste to spend more money to be replaced in half the time.

Safety is a concern though. I wonder if there is any data out there to show roughly how much braking distance would be compromised by going with the UHPAS tires. This is definitely worth considering.

Thanks for all the good information!
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote