View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
OK, I'll post this to anyone out there that has an EVO intake installed. Does that intake have a screen just before the OEM Mass Airflow Sensor? I went to the site that sells them and could not see or read that it does. It does utilize the stock sensor so, if you guys are right, will have this screen installed. I checked my SUV, my wife's car and my Harley and none of then have a screen in front of the MAS. Everything else I own has a carburetor.

I can see where you think it should. In high RPM engines, the air flowing past the MAS will act like a wing on a high performance aircraft and will create a boundary layer of air giving false readings. The screen will act as vortex generator breaking up that boundary layer. On an aircraft wing it allows the flight controls to be more effective at high air speeds.

So with that said I need someone that knows first hand what the EVO intake has inside that pipe. Pictures would be nice also. Until then I'm swapping out for my screen-less stack (which only took an Exacto knife to cut out). If I get a CEL, I will post it and won't hide the fact that I was wrong in my assumption.

I should just go ahead an get the EVO because the air in a stock air box takes no less than 4-90 degree turns in less than 12 inches!
You may not get a Change Engine Light, but it may run like crap or stumble at certain RPM ranges, etc.
I put a K&N ram tube, ot whatever they called it, on an RX8 and it used the original MAS and had no screen in it, but neither did the OEM airbox.
Made the car so loud on intake noise, I couldn't stand it.
Know anyone who wants one?