View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
insite

there are a couple of reasons to change it out while you're in there. first, you cannot machine the surface on the OEM dual mass flywheel (DMF). this means that the friction surface will not be optimal when you install the new clutch; your new clutch probably wouldn't last as long. also, there is an elastomer on that connects the two halves of the DMF; as it decays, driveline shocks are no longer properly damped. this can affect a lot of things including comfort, noise and driveline longevity.

when i pulled my transmission, it was clear that my DMF was totally shot; the elastomer didn't perform as it should & there were hotspots all over the mating surface. i replaced the DMF with an Aasco lightweight aluminum flywheel and a custom spring centered clutch from Spec. total cost was about $200 more than if i'd have gone with a new OEM flywheel and Sachs clutch. the LWF is a nice performance upgrade; it does take some getting used to from a drivability perspective, but i love mine. as an added feature, if you ever do a clutch again, you can replace the mating surface on the Aasco FW for $100 (it unscrews).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote