Thread: Ouch... !!!
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Quickurt

Extremely unusual to have that kind of explosive fire in a modern race car. I wonder if it was a class that does not require fuel cells. As slow as the cars were going in the rain, it didn't seem like that brutal of a hit, although the damage to the Ferrari looked pretty extensive. Maybe it was in slower than normal motion? It looked almost like a pace lap and it started because the spray was so thick, no-one could see crap.
I've been in that kind of situation in Formula cars and, belive me, it's total frigging insanity to do it. The second time I was in an SCCA race with those conditions, I thought to myself, "what are you doing here, with no-one paying you a penny, and you're supposed to be having fun?" I pulled into the pits and loaded the car.
After that, I didn't run rain practice sessions. I would do only minimum required laps for qualifying if it was raining. If our Sunday main race was raining, I loaded up and headed home. It was NOT fun and the chances of destroying your car and/or yourself went up in geometric proportions.