View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
PasadenaBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
I wonder what people here think about the differences between the 986 and 987,would the changes be enought to make the 987 a "new" model. I've read elsewhere how some state that they would not buy the first year of a new model. Do you'll feel this way?
Porsche's approach to a new model is more "evolution that revolution", to quote Edmunds.com review of the 987. The cars are hard to tell apart unless you are either a) very familiar with them, or b) have them sitting side by side with each other.

That said, according to Porsche, there is only 20% of the 986 left in the 987. They've made a lot of changes. And for a car that has been 80% changed to still look so much like the previous model is one heck of an accomplishment. Porsche really nailed it on the new Boxster.

As for being worried about buying a first year model... My 987 has been surprisingly problem free. The only problem I've had was my Engine Temp Gauge stopped working. I took it to the shop and on the way there it started working again. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they told me if it happened again to bring it back. It's been fine since. I've got about 2k miles on my 987 now.
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote