View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofishbein
Litronics originally installed on the cars were only available with Automatic Dynamic Headlight Beam Adjustment (AHBA) and included the washers. These corrected the beams to compensate for the uneven road conditions and the dynamic pitching motion of the car. The system required a stepper motor, wheel speed sensor units, and front and rear suspension level sensors.

The retro-fit units offered by Porsche are the same headlights as on the original, but without the AHBA and cannot be diagnosed with PST2. I had the originals on a 2001 911 and have the reto-fit kit on my Boxster. I can't tell any difference between the two. The ones being offered by most US vendors for ~$2,400 are the reto-fit kits.

I'm sure the headlight shift provided by the control unit is nice, as you pointed out the retrofits are simply replacement headlamps. When I finally finished aiming them, (covered in a insert to the factory manual), I was very pleased. However, when first installed, they were no where near the proper alignment and provided far less viability than the stock units.