Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Site Assistance or feedback here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

parts catalog

hi. folks often are searching for specific part #s and part diagrams. i find that a very useful tool is the online PET at auto atlanta. unfortunately i can no longer easily point people to that website due to current filters (which i understand and have no problem with - business is business).

HOWEVER, i was wondering what it would take to host an online PET on this website as a resource to users. it would certainly benefit the forum and drive traffic to this site.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hi. folks often are searching for specific part #s and part diagrams. i find that a very useful tool is the online PET at auto atlanta. unfortunately i can no longer easily point people to that website due to current filters (which i understand and have no problem with - business is business).

HOWEVER, i was wondering what it would take to host an online PET on this website as a resource to users. it would certainly benefit the forum and drive traffic to this site.
I just came across this post. I rarely go into the feedback section.

I downloaded the PET and refer to it quite often. It is only 37 MB in size and is a standard PDF so searching, zooming and copying sections is a breeze.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #3

i have the PET too, however it is a lot more work to refer folks to specific parts; it was easy when you could just post a link to the appropriate page. 37MB is also difficult to share via email or sharefile, unless you take the time to go in and cut and paste which is work when you are just trying to help some faceless dude on the internet.

also, the online version is up-to-date with superseded part numbers, whereas the pdf is fixed in time.

it would be good if this forum had a resource section like planet 9, rennlist, renntech, where there are a bunch of pertinent files available for download (like the PET, schematics, etc.); available only to paying members if need be.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

You can always go to the Sunset Porsche part website, they always have the most current factory version up, and you can look up by description, part number, VIN, etc. And you get current pricing as well.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think it would be great feature, but I also don't think going directly to the Porsche website to access/download the PET is that hard for anyone, even the faceless dude on the internet. Once you find a part number, Pelican, Sunset, etc will tell you if the item has been superseded and most of the time show a picture.

I like your idea of adding a documents section, maybe it could be done independently with a google doc/group or something?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

Porsche considered the PET copyright protected intellectual property, like just about everything else they ever produced. Before posting it, you would need their permission, which I would not hold your breath waiting for...........
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Porsche considered the PET copyright protected intellectual property, like just about everything else they ever produced. Before posting it, you would need their permission, which I would not hold your breath waiting for...........
For most of the new items I buy I find the dealership is the most frugal option when you consider exchange and shipping from the US to up here in Canada.

I spend enough on parts at the dealership and using the PET only encourages MORE spending.

So if sharing the PET is a no no, Porsche can come and hunt me down.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote