Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Site Assistance or feedback here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #1

Should I get a Boxster, again...

I notice a lot of the posts are about people looking into purchasing a Boxster. They look for either justification, advice, and/or other various things. Many of those posts could be consolidated into one section about this topic only. There, future Boxster owners would be able to find out about maintenence, costs, tips, warranties, etc., that have been posted from time to time. That way forum members wouldn't have to repeatedly post why they bought there Boxster or whether or not it's worth the money.

Before I got mine, I hovered on this board a lot to see what others are saying. It would have been nice to find all the answers in place. Know what I mean? Thanks for reading.

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #2

Thumbs up

I think this is a great idea. I am new here and I don't have too much knowledge about the boxster other than the fact that its a mid-engine, rwd car with a boxer motor. I still need to pay-off my current car but I'm planing (hoping) on having a boxster in a year and would like to know as much as possible before i start actually shopping around.
IwAnTaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to wombat7
I definately agree that this would be a HUGE help for n00bs to the forum. It would've helped me a lot.

1984 944 NA

"Live Fast, Live Young, Leave a good skid mark" - James Dean
wombat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #4

Hell yeah, Boxster got to be the funest car that I've ever encounter. I'm in the process of selling my 97 Boxster and looking into newer Boxster or possible Boxster S. My friends are tryin to get me into SLK, S2000, and TT roaster, and I've test drove them all past couple days, I even test drove the new boxster, and boy, for the money, Boxster just can't be beat, and on the sunnday with top down, be ready for some thumbs up.
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #5

jeph, I have suggested to the owners of this board that they should put an articles area of the site in plain view for all new folks to this board or new/potential Porsche owners.

I think it takes programming money and they just bought this board from the guy who created it... it's gaining financial momentum with banner ads (sponsors), but it's probably slow going.

Here's a list of things anyone should read up on and learn about before buying a used Boxster. The search engine is a good place to find threads relating to each topic:

Buying a used Boxster
- The truth about Carfax - it ain't no LexusNexus (and don't trust it for much of anything, although it does give some basic history on your car).
- Find a paint density meter (go to a body shop that owns one) and use it all over the car to see if it's been wrecked.
- Have a 3rd party inspect the car carefully - this includes CPO cars from dealers
- Find and call each dealership that's worked on the car for a history... they're not linked nationwide like most other car companies. (Use the carfax report to see where it's been titled and call the dealerships in those areas with the VIN number. Time consuming but revealing!)
- Rear speakers are a must and terribly expensive to buy later. Find one with rear speakers.
- The roll bar inserts and windstop are also very expensive after the fact, by the way ... but they make a huge difference and you should get them.
- Last word on buying a boxster: Buy an S (every owner here will tell you it's worth it), buy the newest one you can afford, and buy one with some factory warranty on it and take it in for every single thing you can find ... which means having the car checked out regularly by an independent mechanic.

Owning a Boxster
- The convertible top ("chopping" the window so it doesn't crack, etc.)
- The dreaded Check Engine light (when it stays on-not blinking-you probably have a cap loose somewhere (oil, radiator, gas) or a O2 sensor or MAF is out and that will cost you some $$. When it blinks you are screwed.)
- Tires can't be rotated and wear quickly—15k is about all you'll get out of them.
- Wheel balancing is hard to achieve. Road force balancing with a Hunter 9700 is recommended.
- Cleaning your car is a big debate, but worth reading about (Using clay, pre-wax stuff like klasse, waxes, etc.)
- Roll bar inserts and windscreen "walk off" when you park your Boxster with the top down in busy parking lots... pop them off and stow them in the trunk or you'll see them for sale on Ebay next week.
- Hang around the service area of your local Porsche dealership at closing time and ask the technicians if they know anyone at the shop who moonlights from their own garage. I did this and now I save some big money on repairs and upgrades. (Risk is high though—thought I'd add this)

Modifiying/Tuning a Boxster
- Exhaust systems will make the car louder and increase HP a bit. Big money.
- Intake systems are not worth it, save your big money.
- "Desnorkeling" means removing the snorkel like plastic tube leading to your air filter that makes the Boxster a little louder and doesn't seem to hurt anything unless you go through car washes (shame on you) or shoot the hose at full blast into your intake grill.
- Chip mods are not worthwhile on the Boxster.
- Mods in general are not worth the cash spent if you ask me personally... others will disagree, but the Boxster is not an S2000 and isn't nearly as "tweakable."

There's a bunch of other stuff I could share, but these are the basics. Hopefully, we'll have some lengthly additional posts on this thread with contributors who disagree with me on something written above, and that's great because you will learn more that way! I like it when people don't agree with me because I too learn something.

Randall Neighbour

1997 Boxster - Triple Black (paid $15,500 in 2004 for it)

Work done to my (previously trashed) Boxster in one year:
- Transmission swapped out for a used one (engine replaced prior to buying the car)
- Driver's side control arm replaced. Passenger side rebuilt/repacked with grease.
- Added upgraded shift knob, rear speakers and 3 spoke wheel and airbag
- O2 sensor replacement
- Instrument cluster replaced (LED's were out on the speedo)
- New tires
- Brake pads all the way around (calipers were still good, fortunately)

I've put about 6k into this car so far—should have waited and bought a $21k Boxster that was a year or two newer or just held out to buy a 2000 S, which was my dream car. Oh well, this one is fast and fun and running well today.

Hope all this helps you!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-05-2005 at 05:56 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info, it's a great read. I will definetely be checking out the history on the car before I buy one. The car I have now was rebuilt and i didnt find out until my loan had already gone through so I owned the car already , so I wont be making that mistake again.
IwAnTaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #7

Talking

Let me see what we can do with these suggestions above, which are great!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote