Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #21

Thanks refurbished them myself:

Claying the paint is done before polishing and after thoroughly washing. It rips out the dirt and contaminants in the pours of the paint, leaving a glass-like finish, and stops the polishing process rubbing the dirt in the pours of the paint over the paintwork. It's a way to get the paintwork back to 'naked' paint, so that the only thing on there is clear coat - no wax, no dirt, nothing.

I've detailed cars for a number of years so feel free to message me if you want any advise there's plenty of things to maintain scratch/swirl free black paint. Just don't ever use a sponge or leather chamois

Glad the mechanics of the car is looking promising

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #22

Garage
Just got these in. They get tires tomorrow. Too bad it's freezing and icy. I will want to try them out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
mattluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #23

MattLuttrell Black/Black Porsche Boxster Maintenance Log

They look great on Woody's, I'm sure that they'll look great on black. Easily the best 17" option that I've seen.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #24

Garage
Painted my calipers, installed 987 wheels and Firestone tires. Ordered the decals.

Before:

After:

When it warms, I'll be clay bar, polishing and waxing. Almost have this how I want it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #25

The profile of those tyres are enormous? Are they 50's? Normally 45's go on these 17" wheels.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #26

Garage
Used a clay bar, scratch remover and waxed it. It doesn't look new. Not bad for a 20 year old car.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
The profile of those tyres are enormous? Are they 50's? Normally 45's go on these 17" wheels.
Too wide? Too tall? I used the tires I found on various charts.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #28

Lovely

Grab some AutoGlym Bumper Trim Gel. Use it on the front vents, windshield scuttle, and on the mirrors. It makes black plastic black again if it's faded grey

You going to get clear headlights, or stick with original ambers? Looks awesome either way.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Lovely

Grab some AutoGlym Bumper Trim Gel. Use it on the front vents, windshield scuttle, and on the mirrors. It makes black plastic black again if it's faded grey

You going to get clear headlights, or stick with original ambers? Looks awesome either way.
Thanks! Hmm. I felt like it was finished. That's usually never the case I guess. I'm still in the first month of ownership. Will have to research.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattluttrell View Post
Too wide? Too tall? I used the tires I found on various charts.

Too tall. Sorry, typo in my last post - meant to say 40's, not 45's.

For my 17" Porsche wheels I had 235/40/18's on the front and 255/40/18's on the rear.

If you fit a tyre too tall, it can overhang the alloys slightly. In some cases it's not too bad as you get better comfort in the cabin and protection to the alloy, but other cases it can make the speedo slightly inaccurate, and can look a bit "tractor" ish if they're too thick.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattluttrell View Post
Thanks! Hmm. I felt like it was finished. That's usually never the case I guess. I'm still in the first month of ownership. Will have to research.

You're doing great

If you need any advice when it comes to car care, feel free to give me a shout ( being a detailer that also owns a black 986 )

Old 12-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #32

Garage
So unfortunately I've had to put this car up for sale. I've been driving it maybe once a month. Had to do a couple things to get it ready:

1) Replaced the water pump and radiator cap (to the blue one). This stopped a leak.

2) Replaced all the coils on one side. Had a misfire on 1's side. Decided to just swap all out while I had the car leaning that way.

3) Replaced the headlights with LED bulbs. While the casings were out I used an variable speed polisher to wet sand the lights with 1200 grit paper and then compound and wax. They came out smooth.

I may or may not sell it, but I've had fun with this car. It still runs like a new car at 76,000 miles. This build thread will be helpful for anyone interested in seeing what I've done to it.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:36 AM   #33

Garage
After some really weird buyers I've decided to not sell this car and keep it as a commuter car for a job I might take.

Just to see how the car heats and drives on the highway with the new LED lights and water pump I got up and did a fake commute at 5am in freezing temperature.

It was very warm inside and the lights worked very well. The LED bulbs probably drove as well as the HID in the Escalade. This was a big improvement as the old bulbs are not too bright.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #34

Garage
Isaiah, here is the maintenance log I said I'd send you when you bought the car. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. This forum also has info on that $110 rear shifter linkage retention clip I opted to not buy. You'll have to search for it. It's here somewhere.

To everyone else here -- I've loved owning a Porsche. Porsche owners are cool. They are real car people. Sadly I'm driving a model S. However, I think Porsche may have designed the one EV cooler than my model S. Maybe

And I still contend Boxster is the best ICE Porsche made. It's most fun to own and drive.

Tags
boxster , new guy