Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Garage
Fuchs style wheels on Boxster

I broke out the plasti-dip last night, I couldn't help myself. I wanted to see if I could make the stock wheel resemble the fuchs style iconic design. Not sure I got it, but had fun with it. I've only done one side of Boxster, so trying to decide if I should do other side, or peel off?

Barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Go ahead... do the other side.
Looks good.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Garage
I agree! looks Great.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Looks great!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Garage
Looks nice!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #6

Garage
I'm glad to see so far everybody is liking them! I guess I got my work cut out for me...tmw I'll tackle the other side. Thanks to every one who weighed in so far.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Agree. Looks great. Well done, sir.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

I wasn't so sure reading the title but the pic proved otherwise. Looks great!
Old 06-23-2016, 04:39 AM   #9

Can you post a close up, and also take some pictures during the process? How did you get a smooth curve when masking off the wheel?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Another +1
Old 06-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #11

Garage
Thanks for the kind words everybody. I just eyeballed the tape around the natural curve...it's not perfect, but close enough (Plasti-Dip!) Here's closer pic and the wheel taped up. I'm prob going to do other side tonight, I'll take more pics of the process
Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

You took some hideous wheels, I have always detested those things, and turned them into something acceptable. My personal recommendation would be to buy some new (or used) wheels. Plastidip will only last so long, yeah you can keep redoing them but damn you are driving a Porsche not some beater hyundai.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
You took some hideous wheels, I have always detested those things, and turned them into something acceptable. My personal recommendation would be to buy some new (or used) wheels. Plastidip will only last so long, yeah you can keep redoing them but damn you are driving a Porsche not some beater hyundai.
+1

Excellent start but far from being completed if you ask me

harsh I know loll

Obviously you've seen this before but that's what Porsche Studio did to revive the style. Or in case you didn't know (that'd be kinda funny). Given your talent, clearly you can do better than them. I'd say finish them up with the barrel and trim painted black and voila - new branded life to the twists!

Just can't fail, worth the extra paint:

Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
+1

Excellent start but far from being completed if you ask me

harsh I know loll

Obviously you've seen this before but that's what Porsche Studio did to revive the style. Or in case you didn't know (that'd be kinda funny). Given your talent, clearly you can do better than them. I'd say finish them up with the barrel and trim painted black and voila - new branded life to the twists!

Just can't fail, worth the extra paint:

Those are sweet! I'll have to see if I have the required talent to tape and paint the barrel and trim...I was debating this earlier, trying to plan a stategy. Lots of curvy concave surfaces to mask on the twists :chicken:
Old 06-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #15

loll knew there were big chances you'd never see those before. Great minds think alike!

Rare. First saw those onto a 50th anniversary 911 that belongs to a mate here at the club. Weeks ago only, blew my mind away when I saw that reworked fusch style wheel.

Blew my mind even more when I saw your thread. Agree with you that masking the concave area isn't all easy. Try on one! (w/ plati-dip, who cares if it all goes wrong)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #16

Wow, that really changes the look. Nice!

I like those "New" Fuchs too. Do they have them in 19s?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #17

The crest would stand out nicely against the blackened center cap.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
loll knew there were big chances you'd never see those before. Great minds think alike!

Rare. First saw those onto a 50th anniversary 911 that belongs to a mate here at the club. Weeks ago only, blew my mind away when I saw that reworked fusch style wheel.

Blew my mind even more when I saw your thread. Agree with you that masking the concave area isn't all easy. Try on one! (w/ plati-dip, who cares if it all goes wrong)
So, I tried masking other parts last night...but it was beyond the scope of my skill set. Those concave areas were hard enough and then there's the issue of how to mask around the rim in a perfect circle?? I've heard of guys floating the wheel to get the paint line where it needs to go...not going to attempt that.

So, for now, I've done all four wheels this way. I'll wear them around for awhile and see how I feel about it. I will eventually, 1. Peel off and go back to stock looking twists, or 2. Paint for real with flat black paint if I fall in love with the look, but 3. Plasti-dip works for now.

If anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM as I did take numerous photos last night when I dipped the other wheels. Takes about an hour a wheel, which includes removal, cleaning, taping, 3 coats of PD, and re-installation.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #19

Garage
It looks great, now you just need the black/silver center caps to complete the look

4pc Black Car Wheel Centre Cap Hub Chrome Plated Emblem Badge Crest for Porsche | eBay
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Takes about an hour a wheel, which includes removal, cleaning, taping, 3 coats of PD, and re-installation.
No kidd, not an easy job I can imagine. Still clueless as to how you managed to get those perfectly round radius but I guess with patience and skills anything is possible. Results are pretty cool already, I think they look amazing just the way they are.

Top idea for those twists and for one having 4~5 hrs to kill in the garage. Quality time right there!

+1 for the blk cap