Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #21

Yeah, but I'm not posting that one...

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Yeah, but I'm not posting that one...
just block out the face like they do with the license plate.
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #23

BTW, how do you guys block the license plate like that?
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #24

Talking

Must be the same way as you block out the face!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #25

I love the RUF and Gemballa kits

I'm planning on adding the gemballa rear and skirts to my car (GTR ones) but with the nose cone of the yellow GTR and the gembella wheels but not the spoiler...

Rear bumper :£ ??
Side Skirts £??
Nose Cone £??
Exhaust £??
Wheels £2450!!

got some saving to do before then I think!

Quite like the cyrus kit to but not really an option for me.
mr_nico_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #26

That Cyrrus kit looks godawful.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #27

Now let me get this straight. People do stuff to their car that doesn't make it accelerate faster, turn quicker or brake faster. I just don't get the point.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #28
KronixSpeed

well you have a house, you have a garden. the garden doesn't really make your stay better. doesn't help you make more money or sleep better.

you do it because you want it to look different from other peoples houses. you don't like a boring simple houses like everyone else's.

n honestly, not to be cocky, because in no way am i that type of person. my side skirts with a deep dish 19 inch rim lowered 1.3 inches.....the car looks 10 times better then any stock boxster. the car is really really amazing looking.

next upgrade next summer GT3 front bumper.....and i think my car will, hands down be one of the best looking cars on the street.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #29

Talking

What would we do without all of these opinions, anyway, all our friends are here!

Apologies to Don Henley.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #30

Kronix I like thse wheels and I am with you on the body kits. I had to have the Aero Kit 1 before I would purchase a Boxster...I just like it like that....

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
well you have a house, you have a garden. the garden doesn't really make your stay better. doesn't help you make more money or sleep better.

you do it because you want it to look different from other peoples houses. you don't like a boring simple houses like everyone else's.

n honestly, not to be cocky, because in no way am i that type of person. my side skirts with a deep dish 19 inch rim lowered 1.3 inches.....the car looks 10 times better then any stock boxster. the car is really really amazing looking.

next upgrade next summer GT3 front bumper.....and i think my car will, hands down be one of the best looking cars on the street.
It's already a pretty sweet looking ride - I can't wait to see the new changes....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #32

Thumbs up Stttttooooppppp

OK, for a short while I've hidden in the shadows of this forum... Being my first post, here's an introduction:

I grew up with Porsche autos, and I have always had a passion for them. This probably isn't the best post for a first one here, but I don't care...

First off: everyone here is a Porsche lover! Of course you appreciate your baby, but the fact that many people drive the same car may motivate you to seek exclusivity.

As far as modifying the looks of your car... it's PERFECTLY fine, no matter what anyone says (we're not children here, I hope). Here's the deal... if you prefer your Porsche stock, keep it that way.. if you think that all body kits and spoilers and whatnot are hideous, then woo hoo! You've suddenly got less competition in terms of aesthetics on the road every time someone changes the factory look.

Now, if you want a little more than stock, in order to obtain a distinguished measure of uniquity, you are not the first, nor the last, and you are correct in pursuing what you want from YOUR machine (a magical machine, but a machine nonetheless). Some of the more seasoned Porschephiles are familiar with the "Special Wishes Program", from which many unique autos have emerged. If you buy quality parts and install them properly, I do not see a difference between what you are doing at your local (quality) body shop, and what Porsche engineers have done for a LONG time.

To end this excessively long post, I'd like to just say... Porschephiles need to stick together! We're a privileged bunch, guys.
Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #33

Talking

By definition, you can do to your own car what you will. If you care what others think of your car and its mods, you will do that too!

And so it goes!

Personally, I am offended by poor writing skills more than body kits on a Porsche.

But, that's just me.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #34

Hi,

I've lurked this thread for several months, reading all the pros and cons. The truth is, Porsches are made to be modded. Porsche accepts and encourages this with their advertising and TechArt.

People have been modding Porsches since well before many (I would even say most) of you were born - try to find a 356 that has it's original engine - everyone who could, put the Super engine in it. Ever see a 912 without Fuchs? How many non-turbo 911s have the WhaleTail?

That said, I am a Purist and think most (read 99.9999%) of all bodywork mods look atrocious! That's OK, that's my opinion. I'm a little less rigid on powertrain mods, but still think most people who do them are either looking to be the Big Dog, or are trying to make up for buying the wrong car to begin with. You can make a 600HP Boxster if that's your goal, but hell, you can do the same thing to a John Deere riding mower. But, more importantly, so can anyone else with the $$ and the urge, so how that somehow makes you Special is beyond me. If it's to supposedly increase the car's performance, a dedication to driving courses will accomplish all of this and more, and it's portable, you don't lose it when you sell the car.

If you mod your car because it turns your crank, because you love it, more power to you, by all means proceed.

But, if you mod your car to gain others' approval and affirmation, be prepared to take some hits, especially if you advertise it on this forum. And, don't get all flustered by the unfavorable response you will undoubtedly get from some quarters...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-26-2006 at 06:31 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Ever see a 912 without Fuchs?

Both of my 912s have steelies, one chrome, the other painted. I want them to look as "old" as possible, because what I really want is a 356.

Yeah, I know. Sell the 912s and buy the 356. I can't. I drag home all sorts of hopeless white elephants, fall in love with them and live relatively happily ever after.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 08-26-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Both of my 912s have steelies, one chrome, the other painted. I want them to look as "old" as possible, because what I really want is a 356.

Yeah, I know. Sell the 912s and buy the 356. I can't. I drag home all sorts of hopeless white elephants, fall in love with them and live relatively happily ever after.

Hi,

I love the 912, it's a great car in it's own right. I know there are lots of them out there with the OEM Steelies on them, but I think you get my drift...

Old 08-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Hi,

I love the 912, it's a great car in it's own right. I know there are lots of them out there with the OEM Steelies on them, but I think you get my drift...

I do. Mine was just another pointless comment, adding absolutely no value whatsoever to the thread. Seems I can't help it.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Porsche accepts and encourages this with their advertising and TechArt.

Jim, I think you meant to say Tequipment

My '72 911 and '69 912 both wore awesome fuchs, the '91 Turbo (mint green/linen white) wore factory C2 turbo wheels, and my Boxster (coming soon) is going to wear TechArt GTs in black with a chrome lip...

Not that it matters to anyone :P

As for the perpetual argument of driving school vs. performance mods... yes, drivers' ed will allow you to carry more speed through the corners and be a better, faster driver all around. If you're looking for point-and-squirt excitement, however, extra power will do the trick. Granted, the best way is to learn to fully appreciate and use the car you're in as it is, and when you need more, go for it!
Racer-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-x
Jim, I think you meant to say Tequipment

My '72 911 and '69 912 both wore awesome fuchs, the '91 Turbo (mint green/linen white) wore factory C2 turbo wheels, and my Boxster (coming soon) is going to wear TechArt GTs in black with a chrome lip...

Not that it matters to anyone :P

As for the perpetual argument of driving school vs. performance mods... yes, drivers' ed will allow you to carry more speed through the corners and be a better, faster driver all around. If you're looking for point-and-squirt excitement, however, extra power will do the trick. Granted, the best way is to learn to fully appreciate and use the car you're in as it is, and when you need more, go for it!
Hi,

Yes, I meant Tequipment, thanks for the correction. I agree with your statement that DE and getting the most from the car stock is the best starting point...

Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #40

Smile

I like to upgrade cars with later items from the manufacturer. For example, I just put a really nice set of 17" wheels on my BMW 328I. The wheels are from a 2004 Sport Package option 3 series.

That and the clear lenses give the 99 a new look, which I like. The larger tires have sharpened up the handling also.

One can use this approach nicely on an older Box.

Lastly, I do like some of the fixed spoilers over the fun little lip that the Boxster comes with.