Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

My new 01 base 986!

After owning various 10-15 year old econoboxes (celica, saturn, civic) the past 15 years, and looking into a "fun" daily driver the past year, I finally pulled the trigger.

Picked this beauty up:

Has 83K on the clock and I'm the third owner. The second owner (male, early 60s) had her for 12 years, kept her garaged and has copious maintenance records for her including IMS/clutch/flywheel less than 2K ago. This became the owner's garage queen, with less than 700mi put on her in the past 2 years. I've already put about 300 in a week.

I did NOT get a PPI. I bought it from out of town, and the only german shop in that town is where all the maintenance was done at. I had the chance to speak with the owner of the shop briefly on the phone, and he kind of just confirmed what I saw on the maintenance records and stated for PPI they'd likely just hook it up to the computer and do a visual, then go from there.

I have an porsche/mb indy shop near me that gets really good reviews. I plan on doing whatever maintenance I can myself, despite living in an apartment complex. I know I want the motor oil and brake fluid changed, and am debating whether to just do it myself next weekend or take it in to the indy and have them inspect the vehicle while its in.

I'm in Sacramento, CA, in case there are any others out this way!

asteroid hyalosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Garage
I'd take it in for an inspection. At least pay for it to prepare yourself for what repairs haven't been made that you'll need to eventually. Learn how to change the oil yourself. To keep the car healthy, it's recommended to change it every 5,000 miles with a high quality synthetic. If you search the forum there are numerous opinions on which oil is best to use. My advice is not to ask here. Search read and make up your own mind. You can save a lot of money changing the oil yourself if your apartment complex allows you to do your own maintenance.

Welcome to the forum and porsche world. It's always recommended that you join your local pca chapter and get involved with the pca community. Great group and great club. Enjoy the car and drive it like you stole it!

Last edited by jdraupp; 02-07-2016 at 08:34 AM.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

Nice looking Boxster! Looks like Lapis blue paint with grey and black interior, metropol blue top, 18" turbo look wheels.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

That looks lovely, I have the same interior and I really rate it despite what some say. Graphite Grey if you're wondering what the actual name for the interior colour is

Good to see you driving it too. I hate to see good cars being garaged all their lives, does the car no good at all.

Beautiful car, hope you're happy with it! Is it a 2.5 or a 2.7?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
That looks lovely, I have the same interior and I really rate it despite what some say. Graphite Grey if you're wondering what the actual name for the interior colour is

Good to see you driving it too. I hate to see good cars being garaged all their lives, does the car no good at all.

Beautiful car, hope you're happy with it! Is it a 2.5 or a 2.7?
It's an 01, so he's got a 2.7
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Garage
I think this is the first time I've seen those rims on a blue boxster. It looks outstanding!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
It's an 01, so he's got a 2.7
Oops, glanced over that.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! The forums have come up numerous times on my search, but figured now that I own I better register. (Also have an account on rennlist that I lurk on)

The paint code was L3A8 E3 for those wondering. Brand new top placed on it less than 3Y/6K ago with the glass defrosting window!

If we're counting strictly work, I'll be putting about 14K on it per year. Plus whatever roadtrips we'll do. It's definitely not the fastest car out there, especially by today's standards, but it has double what my civic had, and is just a thrill to drive!

Tailpipe smoked a lot when I first started it up on the first test drive, but haven't really noticed an issue since, and no suction of the oil cap when I had her running earlier.

There is an 2 day (2 consecutive saturdays) porsche dealer sponsored autox school in a month coming up. Will try to see if I can make that!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sweet! Welcome to the forum. Blue Boxsters are the best. And' yes, I am biased!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage

Today, north of Boston, about 45F. Forecasting 8-12" of snow tomorrow, so I flung that window of opportunity wide open and put 50 miles on her.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
......I hope my clear corner trims arrive! Scheduled for tomorrow.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage

A little hard to see, but just installed my clear (with red LED) third brake light too!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroid hyalosis View Post
...Tailpipe smoked a lot when I first started it up on the first test drive, but haven't really noticed an issue since, and no suction of the oil cap when I had her running earlier. ...
It is normal for these cars to smoke a bit on start up especially if it has not been run for a while or if it was recently run for a very short period of time. Nothing to worry about unless it keeps smoking.

If you want to do simple maintenance at a parking space, I'd highly recommend Rhino ramps or similar as an easy to use and easy to store way to raise up the car.

Congrats! It looks like you got a nice one.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #14

Mine might very well be the identical counterpart to yours (except for having an aerokit and a few more miles).
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
.....and sorry to seem like I tried to steal your thunder, asteroid I guess I just get excited about the blue cars!

Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #16

Beautiful cars! Just bought some carwash for it (Optimum no rinse wash and wax) so will hopefully get her shining again!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #17

thanks for the tip about the ramps. How hard is it to get under to change the oil with a 6.5" high drain pan, without a lift?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroid hyalosis View Post
thanks for the tip about the ramps. How hard is it to get under to change the oil with a 6.5" high drain pan, without a lift?
With ramps like in the picture above? Pretty easy. I have done mine that way a couple of times. I like to have the car as level as possible because it helps me feel like I am getting more of the old oil out My driveway slopes down just a little bit so I back the car down the slope and up onto the ramps which levels the car, and there is plenty of room to change the oil.

If you are asking if you can change the oil without ramps or lifting the car - maybe a more athletic person could but I can't...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #19

looks super clean!
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #20

Garage
Congratulations! I am looking forward to obtaining my 01 S this spring. Posts like these encourage me more. Do you own maintenance. This Porche is very mechanical, but fairly easy to perform general maintenance: oil change, spark plugs, coil packs, brakes, belt, etc

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote