Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #1

Thanks Markus. I was kind of thinking on those lines too. My first thought was to call Cobra and see if they had those trim parts. My second thought was using rubber trim like you had mentioned. Cut it to shape and then glue it in. I need to go get some foam from an upholstery shop as some of the foam has disintegrated. I'll see if they might have something too.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 11-20-2016 at 05:18 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Recaro sells that part as a 2 piece part so maybe Cobra does too, or you can improvise a way to fasten them together. I can't tell from the picture whether you had to destroy the old pieces when removing them.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

I love those wheels, Woody! Seeing them on your car has convinced me to get a set-- if I can find them. Had limited luck in my searching.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
I love those wheels, Woody! Seeing them on your car has convinced me to get a set-- if I can find them. Had limited luck in my searching.
Yes they are hard to come by. I like them and they have brand new michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ on them. I'd have to say they are my favorite factory 17 inch wheel. I still miss the black wheels I had though. They were a little heavy but they were the look I was after. I thought about painting these wheels black but I'll probably leave them silver for now. I really want a set of 17 or 18 inch lighter forged wheels.

Update on the seat. I've been sharing emails and pictures with Cobra and they're looking around to see what they can do. Love them Brits, they're so polite
Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

That's a score on those seats, I thought I had read it as "Corbeau" the first time. Cobra seats rock!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #6

I just came across this posting.... coffee on a rainy morning reading 13 pages. Great way to start the day. Nice job Woodie..... thanks for sharing.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Garage
Damn, you have a build thread! You helped me with my wheels in my thread. My wheels (same as yours) were delivered an hour ago.

Looking forward to following this thread.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
mattluttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

Thanks guys. The trim pieces on the seat restoration have put me in a rut. Cobra doesn't have any for seats that old and I haven't had the chance to sit down and find anything that might work. I'm glad the holidays are over with. Now maybe I'll have time to play with it again. On a good note, I have been driving it as much as possible. I had someone pull up next to me and ask if my car was a Ferrari. I told him "No it's better than a Ferrari, it's a Porsche"

Last edited by itsnotanova; 01-08-2017 at 05:26 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

It's been awhile since I've done anything to the box. I've been too busy or low on funds after paying Uncle Sam. Bastard wants money for everything! He even taxes me on the tools at my shop. Well after a busy weekend I decided to get the car on the lift and trade out some parts I've been holding onto for a few months. The first is a FVD deep sump oil pan I picked up for $25. That's right, $25! A guy on CL had an add for two blown up 3.6 motors and some other stuff. I called him up and he told me he picked them out of the "junk pile" of some shop here in town. Turns out it was one the high end garage's in town. The motors came out of a cup car or something worth a lot of coin. I guess it wasn't worth their time to remove the pan?!?! Both motors had died a very explosive death as there wasn't much salvageable. One was so bad that even the heads were warped from the internal explosion. The one that had the pan was a little less damage. The ported heads looked to be still good so i gave them to a builder out of Georgia to use if he wanted to. The pan looked like it was brand new so I decided to use it on my 3.2.

The stock pan is off the 3.2 and the one on the right is the deep sump. The FVD pan sits about a half an inch lower. If you look at the following pic, you'll see that I already have ground clearance issues as my exhaust has already banged up on a few things. The right header still sits lower than the pan, but that still doesn't make me feel better. I'm thinking about making my own little skid plate for that area. I also plan on seeing if I can raise the motor a little too.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Smokin ass deal on that earl pan!
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Smokin ass deal on that earl pan!
Yes! There's lots of good deals on CL but you have to get them quick.

I'm getting the trunk ready for my accusump instillation, so I decided to go ahead and remove the spoiler mechanism. Most spec guys remove these pieces and lock the spoiler in the up position. I'm locking mine in the down position as it interferes with the aftermarket spoiler I installed on the trunk. I don't believe either really do much of anything and my car feels as stable at 120mph as it does at 60mph. Save your breath if you're a pro-stock spoiler person. Until I see an actual wind tunnel picture, I don't think the rear stock spoiler/gurney flap does much of anything. Sorry that's my opinion.

It only takes about thirty minutes at most to remove everything in the picture above and it's all reversible if I chose to put it back in. If you look at the picture below, there's a small pin inside the piston right below that brass colored sleeve. The cable attaches to that pin to control the spoiler from going up or down. You have to pry the case apart and the cable slides off from that pin. To keep the spoiler from rising, you have to drill a small hole and put a screw through it. You can see the small hole I drilled to the left of the pin. The hole is in the valley between the big and small tube. Total loss 4lbs
Old 05-14-2017, 04:54 AM   #12

Looking good, I always wondered about those seats, they do look good!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #13

And from what I understand, that remote oil filter adapter does not require the LN spin on adapter, it threads directly into the OEM spot.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Wow......

Go, Woody, Go!!!!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #15

I had some parts I had to deliver to COTA yesterday and on the way there is a metal recycler. I drove up on the scale and was told 2940lbs. Needless to say I was disappointed after everything I've done to lose weight. Granted I had just filled up with fuel and was carrying about 40-50lbs of parts. I'm also not sure if that was with me on the scale or not. There was a little language barrier between the Mexican scale lady and me. So if I minus the fuel(17x6.3lbs=107lbs) and the 45lbs of parts, that puts me at 2788. I was hoping for more as I had figured around 200lbs of total weight loss. In actuality it was 250 taken off and 50 put back on because of the accusump and skid plate. I'm sure hoping that was with me on the scale too as 2788 sounds about right. I'm also not sure how accurate the scale was with such a light weight vehicle on it. Those scales are usually weighing vehicles that weigh 5000-80,000lbs.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I had some parts I had to deliver to COTA yesterday and on the way there is a metal recycler. I drove up on the scale and was told 2940lbs. Needless to say I was disappointed after everything I've done to lose weight. Granted I had just filled up with fuel and was carrying about 40-50lbs of parts. I'm also not sure if that was with me on the scale or not. There was a little language barrier between the Mexican scale lady and me. So if I minus the fuel(17x6.3lbs=107lbs) and the 45lbs of parts, that puts me at 2788. I was hoping for more as I had figured around 200lbs of total weight loss. In actuality it was 250 taken off and 50 put back on because of the accusump and skid plate. I'm sure hoping that was with me on the scale too as 2788 sounds about right. I'm also not sure how accurate the scale was with such a light weight vehicle on it. Those scales are usually weighing vehicles that weigh 5000-80,000lbs.
The few scales like these that I've put both my Boxster and Carrera on where both about 125 lbs more then I expected. I last one was 3170 and 3240 respectively. The owner of one said theirs shows about 100 to 150 more then the actually weight and all they care about is the before and after weight and even this can be off +/- 5 lbs since it weighs in 10 lbs increments. I think you can probably knock off 75 lbs and have a pretty accurate number.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
The few scales like these that I've put both my Boxster and Carrera on where both about 125 lbs more then I expected. I last one was 3170 and 3240 respectively. The owner of one said theirs shows about 100 to 150 more then the actually weight and all they care about is the before and after weight and even this can be off +/- 5 lbs since it weighs in 10 lbs increments. I think you can probably knock off 75 lbs and have a pretty accurate number.
Thanks for the info. I've seen some races have tech inspection with scales set up and I'm thinking I'll try and sneak onto one when I get a chance.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #18

My car at the scales at Roebling was 2950'ish with around half fuel, and me not in the car, and no lightening measures. So your 2950 had to be with you in the car due to the language barrier. No way you are still at 2950 empty with all the stuff you have taken off.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #19

Build another car!
motorjon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorjon68 View Post
Build another car!
I think that's a compliment? Thanks if so. I'm still tinkering with my boxster and want to put in a lightweight flywheel next. As of right now my garage has a vehicle in it getting built that is completely different than a Porsche . 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 converted from manual to an auto. Dana 60 KP HP out of a F350 with a three link coilover suspension. Dana 70U out of a E350 van bus with stock springs and flipped shackles. Bobbed bed, rock sliders. Stock NP231 transfer case for now but planning on upgrading to a Jeep Rubicon NP241or or Atlas. Humvee double beadlock wheels with 38 inch super swampers. I plan on going rock crawling with it soon. I have so much time and $$ wasted on it. You don't get to say this very often about a Porsche, but the Porsche is a much better investment than a true offroad vehicle. I enjoy building it more than I'll probably enjoy the truck when it's done.

After the truck is done I plan on continuing with the 911 in the back ground. Mid engine 911 RSR clone with 650-700hp is the goal. I have most of the parts collected for it. just need the time.