Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

986's old stablemate

Not a Porsche but does anyone remember these old girls? . Cleaning out my garage today and unearthed my Boxster's stablemate which had been draped in a sheet and buried in cardboard boxes ( thank you wifey ) for a few years. Nearly forgot what it looked like , no mistaking those ugly safety bumpers from the early seventies .

Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

That is pretty damn cool. Not sure I've ever seen one on the road, make sure you get out and drive it!
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #3

Garage
Great car! Maybe Porsche will put the 919 V4 in a road car some day.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

Yes, I rebuilt a wrecked 1972 when I lived in Alaska. SAABs and Subarus were very popular there. Extremely light and pretty quick even with the small V4 and tiny carb. Handled snow and ice well with studded tires. Was pretty scary to drive among the 4X4s, though.
sandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
IIRC, weren't the Sonetts 2 stroke?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

Garage
Very cool, how the heck do you not drive that on a regular basis!? I don't think I have ever seen one of those on the road. Thanks for posting
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Interesting looking ride. Kind of has a 240Z and Lancia Stratos vibe going on.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

A bedtime story

Having rallied SAAB 96's and a few 99's for years I always fancied owning one of the last production Sonett 3's which were built in 1974 , basically all the oily bits are from the SAAB 96 all squeezed inside a steel floor pan and frame clothed with a fiberglass body shell , they were powered by a German built Ford 1700cc V4 engine driving the front wheels through SAAB's own 4 speed gearbox complete with a switchable freewheel device to aid fuel economy , the Sonett was built purely for the USA market to compete with the MGB .
I purchased this particular car about 12 years ago from a Naval guy in Pearl Harbor who kindly shipped it to San Diego for me, I then arranged to have it shipped to the South of England whereupon on arrival I would meet it off the ship and drive it Northwards to Scotland then a short ferry crossing home. Then EVERYTHING went pear shaped , when the ship entered the Panama Canal the shipping company went bust, the whole ship was seized & tied up for 18 months with my car on board inside a container, but eventually it arrived in England, my wife & I pushed it out of the container @ Chatham Docks down in Kent, hit it with a set of jump leads and it started first times but whilst driving around the London ring road the engine managed to put a piston out through the cylinder block, the rest is to long a story, but thats why when I eventually got it home I covered it up and haven't looked at it until now .
P.S. I just rebuilt a new engine for it but haven't fitted it yet, the Boxster's to much fun.

Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote